Training Course Details
Course Fee – £340
Our Mountain Leader Training course is set over 6 consecutive days based in North Wales and are non-residential. Covering all aspects of the syllabus as set out in the handbook. The course will be delivered by a passionate and professional instructor who are very experienced in delivering the mountain leader scheme. Course Programme
The program will normally follow this format, but changes may be made to make the best use of venues and weather conditions. On day one please ensure you have a day bag packed and ready to go. This should include food and water for the day as we will lunch on the hill.
|Mountain navigation and teaching
|2||Mountain Weather||Mountain journey and
including leader kit.
|Mountain journey on steep ground and
|Ropes & knots|
to apply the
days 1 to 3.
|Mountain journey to
apply the skills from
days 1 to 3.
|5||Expedition Prep||Mountain journey.||Night Navigation.|
|6||Mountain journey||Water hazards
|Debrief and action|
plan finish by
We will aim to finish by 5pm on the final day to allow time for people to travel home.
You will need the following items as a minimum for the course:
- Walking boots – waterproof with good tread and ankle support.
- Personal hill/mountain clothing sufficient for 6 days
- A small day rucksack 20-40 litre
- Watch (with a digital stopwatch) not just a phone
- A compass (Silva type 4 or similar)
- 1:25000 map of Snowdonia Explorer OL!& & 1:50000 OS (ideally laminated)
- Large expedition rucksack 60 – 70 litres
- Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, stove & fuel, expedition food for two days and one night
- Climbing Helmet
- A 30m 8 or 9mm thick climbing rope
N.B. A full kit list will be provided when you book your course.
The period between training and assessment varies in length for each person and is an opportunity to develop your skills, paying attention to any weaknesses identified during the training course. You can use the excuse ‘I’m preparing for assessment’ to have as many mountain adventures as you like, so get out there and explore this beautiful country of ours!