This scheme trains and assesses candidates in the skills required to lead hill walking groups in summer conditions on mountainous routes not requiring the planned use of a rope. There are 4 stages in the scheme:
- Attend a six day training course.
- Complete a consolidation period to increase your experience and knowledge.
- Attend and complete an assessment course.
- Continue to stay current and up to date.
The syllabus is split into eight sections;
- Group management
- Access and the environment
- Hazards (including steep ground and rivers) and emergency procedures
- Expedition skills
- Background knowledge
Each area of the syllabus will be covered in detail empowering you to get out and feel confident that you can deliver a safe, enjoyable experience for a wide range of participants.
Detailed information on each of the above topics can be found in the Mountain Leader Handbook and the onus is on you to be competent in all of them by the time you come to assessment