The Hill & Moorland Leader is suitable for a wide range of applications, this could be for Teachers or youth leaders who wish to take students on walks or run the expedition section of the DofE award. There are four stages in the scheme:
- Attend a three day training course.
- Complete a consolidation period to increase your experience and knowledge.
- Attend and complete a three day assessment course.
- Continue to stay current and up to date.
The syllabus is split into eight sections
- Walking and Route Finding
- Hazards and Emergency Procedures
- Responsibilities of the Leader
- Group Management
- Access, Conservation and Environmental Knowledge
Detailed information on each of the above topics can be found in the Hill & Moorland Leader Handbook and the onus is on you to be competent in all of them by the time you come to assessment.